Library Assistant I, Circulation Assistant, on-call
- Hours: On-Call (per seniority)
- Wage: 17.16/hour for 6 months, then $21.45/hour
The objective of this position is to meet the needs of the library by presenting a positive image of the library by delivering friendly, courteous and efficient service to the public.
High School Diploma required. Community Librarian Certificate preferred. Other library training and experience may be considered.
- General interest in the community, good public relations skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience in library work with integrated library systems is preferred.
- Knowledge of communication trends and technology. Working knowledge of computer hardware and software systems, including: e-mail, social media, the Internet and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated knowledge of MaRC coding, Dewey Decimal System and Library of Congress Classification System preferred.
- Detail-oriented with good organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to undertake moderate physical activities that may include bending, reaching and lifting moderate weight (40 lbs).
- A strong public service focus with an ability to take initiative and carry out projects to completion.
Maintaining a high degree of customer service at all times.
- Circulation desk duties: including but not limited to:
- Checking-in, checking-out, recording in-house use, renewing and reserving library materials.
- Registering and updating members.
- Accurately collecting monies from patrons and keeping records of cash transactions.
- Booking the Library Meeting Room, preparing invoices and accepting payment of same.
- Performs daily opening and closing procedures.
- Calls patrons to advise when reserves or ILLs are available.
- Distributes library promotional material at the circulation desk.
- Promotes Library events and programs to patrons.
- Assists patrons looking for materials on the shelves, needing assistance at the Online Public Access Catalogues, reference computer workstations and circulation desk.
- Use reference interview techniques to satisfy enquiries using the existing collection and available online resources; keep statistics for same.
- Performs light mends on library materials as time permits.
- Maintains the general appearance of the public areas of the library; including but not limited to: display maintenance and tidying the reading areas.
- Reads shelves on a regular basis, checking for items that are mis-shelved or in need of repair.
- Assists and monitors patrons in use of the Public Access Computers, printers, wireless internet and photocopier.
- Provides Readers’ Advisory service to patrons.
- Supervises volunteers.
- Assists with LAIII and LAII duties as needed.
PUBLIC SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Other duties as assigned.
Please drop off a cover letter and resume at the library, or email to email@example.com, by 3:00PM on June 29, 2017.
Cari Lynn Gawletz
Grand Forks & District Public Library
PO Box 1539
Grand Forks BC V0H 1H0
Note: The Grand Forks & District Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. All appointments to positions within the library shall be on the basis of merit. We welcome applications from students with disabilities, Aboriginal people/members of visible minorities who meet the above required qualifications. This position is open to female and male applicants.