Strategic Goals 2023-2025
The following strategic goals are intended to guide Library governance and operations in the coming years. This is a conservative document, created to be realistic and achievable given the resources and funding we expect to be available to the Library during the timeframe of this document.
To advance literacy in our service area and beyond.
- Achieve and sustain the Library’s role as a community hub for all literacy needs.
- Improve the level of technological literacy for individuals in our service area.
- Increase communication between the Library, other organizations, and government institutions to coordinate our services with local literacy needs.
- Increase operational funding to create and sustain opportunities to advance literacy in the community.
Library as Place:
To provide a safe, comfortable, and innovative space for library users to meet their relevant information and recreational needs.
- Provide a welcoming and inclusive place for all members of our community.
- Comply with the Accessible BC Act by September 2023.
- Continuously make improvements to the accessibility of all library services, whether in the library building, remotely, or virtually.
Activities may include:
- Maintaining existing library programs, collections, and services, and adding new ones as funding allows.
- Working with other organizations to identify opportunities for collaboration to provide targeted literacy programs or services.
- Reaching out to government and other organizations to identify specific community literacy needs.
- Making upgrades to library facilities and equipment.
- Changing operational hours, as funding allows, to best suit community demand.
- Engaging consultants to examine the accessibility and inclusivity of library services and spaces.
- Acting on feedback regarding inclusivity and accessibility from consultants, the accessibility committee, or members of the public.
- Investing in education for library staff and board to improve their understanding of relevant issues.
- Seeking grant funding for special projects or initiatives.
- Advocating for increased ongoing operational funding from local and provincial governments.